|ACADEMY LIBRARY > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13|
Probably around four hundred books had belonged to the Martinikerk itself. It is not clear how many books from other collections came to the Academy Library. Though the majority of these titles will have been included in the printed catalogue of 1669, it would be pushing the point too far to conclude that all older books, manuscripts, and incunables then present in the library originated from the Martinikerk.
The Province provided extra money for the library on a very irregular basis. In 1630, for example, an unknown but large sum was donated, and five years later another 2,000 guilders. One of the most importants acquisitions was a collection of eighteen Arabic manuscripts, acquired in 1620 from the estate of Jacobus Christmannus (1554-1613), professor of Hebrew and logic in Heidelberg. The last contribution, 300 guilders, was made in 1641. The reason for the discontinuation was the heated altercation between the Town and the Ommelanden (the Province), both of which were represented in the Provincial Council governing the Academy. The result was that the Ommelanden no longer co-financed the Academy, it being in the town.
In the 1660s interest in the library increased again.
Double copies were sold in 1664, and the Curators supplemented the
proceeds to an amount of almost 600 guilders. In 1667 the library was
extended to the floor above the southern wing of the convent. In 1668 new
library regulations were set, including job descriptions for the librarian
and the beadle. The salary of the librarian was fixed on 150 guilders.
Besides the remains of the peculium, a number of fixed contributions at
graduations and book auctions were granted to the library.