ACADEMY LIBRARY >  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13


At first there were no fixed opening hours. In 1623 the professors were granted the right to have a key, the 'ius clavium', allowing them to enter the library at any time. Students were allowed only from 1655 onwards, on Wednesdays and Saturdays from noon until 2 p.m. in winter, from 1 to 3 p.m. in summer. Because librarian Tobias Andreae complains in 1664 about books getting lost, it is assumed that the book chains had been removed in the 1650s or early 1660s. At the same time, the first references to the lending of books occur. It is decided to replace the locks of the entrance and to provide a register for loans. The library regulations of 1668, however, state that students were not allowed to take books out of the library. The professors retained their keys.